Ten Carpet Facts Every Homeowner Should Know
There are a lot of flooring choices available, but none are quite so inviting and comfortable as carpet. If you care for it properly, your carpet can provide you with years of use and good looks— use these ten tips to give it the care and attention it deserves.
- Occasionally rearrange your furniture. It may seem inconvenient to do so, but it will keep people from walking the same path over and over again, which causes traffic wear on the carpet fibres.
- Take care of your other flooring. You may not have carpet in every room, and those floors need care as well. Use a broom for sweeping, and put throw rugs at all entrances so people have something on which to wipe their feet before entering your home.
- Remove your shoes before coming in, and ask others to do the same. If you make this a habit, you’ll be bringing far less dirt into your home and onto your carpet.
- Keep walkways outside your home clean. You might not think that sweeping or rinsing your driveway will keep the inside of your home cleaner, but it really does.
- Don’t eat in the living room or other carpeted areas. It’s very tempting to sit on the sofa and eat dinner while watching television, but that makes it a lot more likely that food or drink will be spilled on your carpet. If you make a habit of eating all meals at the dining table, the likelihood of spills will be much lower.
- Place a mat under your office chair. If you spend a lot of time online, or you work from home, this is a must. A plastic mat will protect the carpet from wear and tear associated with the back and forth movement of the chair.
- Vacuum your upholstery regularly. It’s easy to forget, but your chairs and sofas get dirty just as easily as your carpet can. Upholstery is a magnet for dirt, and it collects grime every time you sit upon it. Not only should you vacuum it, you should have it professionally cleaned a minimum of once per year.
- If something spills, clean it up immediately. It can be tempting to leave it for later, but the best thing to do is to clean a spill at once (this is especially true with spilled liquids). Use a towel to soak up any excess liquid, and to keep the mess from spreading. Blot gently so as not to push the liquid further into the carpet.
- Vacuum your carpets regularly. It might seem simple, but there are many people who neglect the easiest of ways to keep carpets clean. To remove the most dirt, carpet manufacturers recommend seven or more passes with the vacuum cleaner. If that seems excessive to you, aim to vacuum all carpeted areas at least twice a week.
- Have your carpets cleaned every six months, or at least once per year. If you have small children or pets, you may need to hire a carpet fitter or cleaner more often.
Having clean carpet doesn’t have to be difficult. With these ten tips, you can keep your flooring clean and sanitary, and your carpets looking good for years to come.
This post was written by James Harper on behalf of Stewart Groom Flooring the carpet fitting experts.