Canned Zesty Pickled Asparagus
Asparagus is one of my favorite vegetables. Not only do I love the taste but it is also a vegetable that will forever and always remind me of my Mom. I remember how much she loved it when I was a kid. But, it was also one of those vegetables that we did not get very often. It was one of the more expensive vegetables and thus was not one that my parents purchased on a regular basis.
Now that I have grown I live in a a town where asparagus grows wild on the side of the road. Every spring you can find people walking up and down the sides of the roads picking asparagus for their family meals. I love being able to do this!
Recently I was able to purchase 2 large boxes of asparagus. I was so excited for all the great recipes that I would be able to make. One of them brought me back to my childhood. Zesty Pickled Asparagus! This is something that my Mom and Grandma always canned when I was a child and I had not had Zesty Pickled Asparagus in years!
Ingredients:9 lbs Asparagus ends trimmed 4 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar 4 1/2 cups water 6 tbs pickling salt 12 cloves peeled garlic (or 2 per jar) 6 tsp crushed red pepper flakes 4 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (or 3/4 tsp per jar)
- Add apple cider vinegar, water and salt to saucepan. Bring to boil. Stir until salt is dissolved.
- Wash and trim ends of asparagus and place in saucepan. Cover with water and heat to a boil. Blanch asparagus for 1 minute.
- Remove blanched asparagus from pot and place in bowl of cold water. Rinse well.
- Meanwhile place 2 garlic cloves, 1 tsp crushed red pepper, and 3/4 tsp cayenne pepper in each 1 quart jar.
- Pack blanched asparagus into each jar.
- Pour pickled water over asparagus filling each jar leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
- Use butter knife and go around inside of each packed jar to remove any air bubbles. Add more liquid as needed leaving 1/4 inch head space.
- Process jars in boiling water canner 10 minutes. *remember to add time as needed per your altitude.
I got the inspiration for this recipe from Simple Bites!