Cuban Sandwich – The Big Kids’ Grilled Cheese
Grilled cheese sandwiches are one of the best comfort foods out there. Most people associate toasty white bread and melted American cheese with childhood memories and nostalgia for dunking the sandwiches into tomato soup. These tasty sandwiches are definitely not just for kids, though. Grilled cheeses are great because not only are they a known family-friendly meal, but they can also be updated for adult tastes in dozens of different ways. This recipe for a Cuban Sandwich is a dinner idea that both kids and adults can enjoy; additional meats and condiments make it a grown-up grilled cheese that is familiar enough to still hold kid-appeal. And since it requires so few ingredients and takes less than ten minutes to make, it’s the perfect weeknight meal for when you just don’t feel like spending time in the kitchen. Serve with a healthy side dish of frozen sweet potato fries for a speedy, balanced and delicious meal that your whole family will love.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 hoagie rolls (5 inches long), split lengthwise
- 4 slices (1 oz each) Swiss cheese
- 4 oz roast pork loin, thinly sliced
- 2 oz cooked ham, thinly sliced
- 4 long dill pickle slices
- Spread 1 tablespoon each of butter, mustard and mayonnaise on the inside of the rolls.
- Top mayonnaise with cheese and add layers of pork, ham and pickles.
- Melt remaining butter in a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add sandwiches, top with a second skillet to weigh down, and cook, flipping once, until cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown, about 8 minutes.
- If you like a little more heat with your meal, bring some hot sauce to the table and serve the sandwiches with spicy sweet potato fries instead.
- Substitute different types of cheese or mustard to find your perfect combination.
- GUEST POST